Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I hate the C word

Pete Hautman talks about the recent censorship battle in Humble, Texas:

http://petehautman.blogspot.com/2010/08/nasty-thing-in-corner.html

My favorite line:

"The political and philosophical problem of censorship, in all its forms, harms all of us, and each of us has a responsibility to fight it."

Yes.

Having gone through the battle myself, I feel the rage of injustice. It's not so much the removal of the book for me (or in this case, the AUTHOR!), so much as it is HOW the book/author is removed. Through lies. Intimidation. Threats. Ignoring procedures. And the dismissive attitude the person in power uses to prevent others from being heard.

It's wrong. It's infuriating. And I'm really proud of the authors who dare to take a stand and try to fight it at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment